“Find out how I generated $100,000 in sales in just 30 days by downloading my free e-book’.
“Free template to gain 10,000 new Instagram followers in 2 months”.
“I was living off baked beans for 6 years then became a gazillionaire. Learn my secret, it was so easy, you can do it too.”
Who. Feels. Dirty?
I sure as hell do. Rags to riches hooks, overnight success. Blah, it makes me want to scream. To be honest, I’ve thought about trying them out for myself. I have actually paid $100 for a Facebook ad and generated thousands of $$$ in sales in just a few weeks. True story! I’m not even kidding.
But here’s the rest of the story. I’d owned my business for 11 years and grown a very large and supportive customers base over that time. My business has been on Facebook since the inception of Business Pages for FB. I busted my arse for 11 years doing a million different ‘things’ to reach a point where I could see results like that from an ad. Oh, I should mention, those results don’t happen every time. If they did I wouldn’t be here complaining about get rich quick schemes, I’d be drunk on a yacht somewhere.
If you’re anything like me you’ve fallen for these big promises. You’ve clicked on those links 3 or 12 times, then, you know what happens? You’re in the FUNNEL! After 5 minutes of watching a video that promises to share the life changing secret, you start to feel a little panicked, like you’ve been had. Where is this damn secret?
You start to think “am I in a funnel? Is this the illusive funnel I keep hearing about?”. If you’re anything like me, you’ll feel claustrophobic and very skeptical. How do I get out of this tunnel? Exit every tab. EXIT!!! Bugger it, close down the whole computer.
Phew, that was close!
Then. Come. The emails.
Not only are we all falling for this crap, but we’re downloading, uploading and forking out hard earned cash for templates so we can create the same “catchy” headings to lure the same people in to buy our own crap. What the hell is going on? Why am I doing this? Which brings me to why;
We don’t have a template to transform your business in 30 days
The reality is that success (mostly) comes from hard bloody work. It’s trying a million different things until you cut it back to a hundred that work well for you and your biz, and if you’re not willing to try ‘all the things’, you shouldn’t own a business.
So when your feeling frustrated or disillusioned by the lack of results from your ‘template’ file, remember this:
- Cheat sheets, E books & Templates are great, don’t get me wrong, but you’ll need a whole big stack across many different topics. i.e – SEO, social media, email marketing, list building, customer service etc etc.
- Every business is different, what works for one doesn’t always work for the other.
- Every business has a backstory and it’s usually a more complex story than you see.
- Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing, just be you. If you’re not finding the success you desire in your business just keeping learning and trying new things. We are ALL doing this.
- Success isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon. Play the long game, surround yourself with like minded peeps, be connected to your why and be prepared to sacrifice and work your butt off.
- It’s ok to quit! There, I said it. If you want it bad enough sure, never give it up. But sometimes what we originally wanted changes and that’s ok. There is no point killing yourself to succeed if your heart is not 100% in it.
Not ready to jump right in? Want to get to know us a little better first? We understand! Dip your toes in and subscribe to our newsletter. As a bonus we will send you our "25 tips to online success" cheat sheet!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Elsa Mitchell is the co-founder of B Directory, providing outside of the box solutions for small business, to help supercharge their growth. One of the ways they do this is by connecting business, bloggers and influencers to create the right online partnerships. B Directory also provides training and management of marketing services to help ease the overwhelm facing small business today.
Elsa’s ability to provide guidance to B Directory clients is underpinned by her extensive business background. Over ten years ago she established her own salon in the beauty industry, which is now a popular and successful operation. Further to this, Elsa is also the Marketing Director of her family business in the building and construction industry.
Elsa’s success in the customer service industry has allowed her to identify solutions and strategies surrounding bricks and mortar sales and building a positive team culture. A skill set she now is able to utilise to educate her B Directory customers.